Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great hdl 2010-07-19 16:26

Hi Naomi. Nice idea, the colours are fine but there are some improvements that can be done here. Foremost is the balance of the picture: your horizon is tilted, so you should straighten that. The place of the first boat is good; slighlty out of the center but the picture could do well without the second boat. Sometimes less is more (and not only in photography). Maybee this would also look good with a lower pov; it's worth the try. I hope you don't mind my saying this; better to say something that you think can be better than to say nothing at all. And welcome to TE; hope to see more of you.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM
TE Newbie

Default To hdl: thanks

Hi hdl,thanks for your constructive comment. I noticed it is tilted too, but adjusting it will lose the cloud. these 3 boats are actually tied together. May I know by your definition, which one is your first boat? May I know what do you mean by lower pov? I am quite new in photography, and very glad to get my 1st critique so soon. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
TE Junior Member

Default boats picture

Hi. You're welcome. That's what TE is for: helping each other. If adjusting the tilt would cause you to loose the cloud, it would probably also result in a bad horizontal balance (meaning that the area with clouds would be too thin) so next time try to extend your framing (you can always cut an edge from your picture if that comes out better). If the boats are tied together, then I would not advise you to untie them just for the sake of the picture. Probably you would get into troubles with the owner lol. You could practice with a shot with one object in it (a tree, a house, a boat,...) and see what that gives you. Your picture shows me that you clearly know how to compose it, so that should work fine. My first boat was the closest one. Lower pov (= point of view) is when you sit down for example instead of standing up. It results in a very different picture. It depends a bit on the situation what comes out best. With digital photography it can not be a problem to take several pictures of the same setting and then afterwards you can see what gives the best result. It's all a bit trial and error at first; just keep in mind the basics and the rest will follow.
Ciao!
Old 07-20-2010, 12:08 PM
TE Newbie

I will keep in mind to shoot in bigger frame. It would be nice if my camera is waterproof, so I can get lower pov. hehehe. This one actually is my lucky shot. Took this while our boat start leaving the venue. Lucky I spot this and shot it fast before we move far from the object. Thanks.