Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-22-2004, 10:06 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Transylvania?

i am thinking of going to Transylvania next week... something off the bitten track, uncivilised, mysterious and not far from London :) someone can share experience?
Old 06-25-2004, 11:45 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: Transylvania?

hello,
i've been to Transylvania twice, what are you looking for?
Mountains? There are plenty of them - the most renowned are of course Fagaras Mountains, but it takes about a week to cross them, and you need to carry everything (including tent) with you.
If you don't fancy carrying al the stuff on your back for a long time you can try Bucegi or Ceahlau mountains (the latter are a little bit wilder).

You can also check some caves and canyons in western romanian mountains - Muntii Apuseni.

About towns don't even dare to omit Sighishoara!! It's for me the most beautiful town of all Transilvania, greatly conserved medieval citadel, the place where historical Dracula was born.

About castles, you can easily skip the best known Bran Castle (so called 'Dracula castle', but Dracula has never been there). Better go to see nearby Risnov Peasant Citadel, or king's palace in Sinaia (near Bucegi Mountains).
I've heard that Hunedoara Castle is also interesting.

Not exactly in Transilvania, but a little bit to the north there are world-unique (even on UNESCO list) painted monastries in Bukovina, or go to the Maramuresh, the land of beautiful villages looking like the time has stopped there about one hundred years ago, with unique 'happy graveyard' in Sapanta.

Well, it's just a small number of numerous attractions of this beautifull and still not very well known country, feel free to ask if you have any more questions, and enjoy your trip!
Old 02-17-2005, 08:42 PM
TE Junior Member

Thank you for this great information. I plan on visiting this area early this May (05) and will be taking your suggestions with me. I'm still working out the logistics. Does a train go through any of the mountains you mentioned? I don't think I'll have the time to spend more than a day walking as I would like to see of the people in town too.

I enjoyed looking at your web site - I wish the Romanian pictures had a little caption though.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
TE Junior Member

Wow, someone did find this old note ;).
You can find there are some guys from Romania in TE - eg. Bogdan.
Remember that walking in romanian mountains is not only the contact with nature, but also with probably most fascinating group of romanian society - shepherds (although I'm not absolutely sure if they will be there in may already - it can be too early). They come into the mountains with their herds for few months each year, and they still keep some old shepherd traditions - like playing some instruments and so on.
Trains in general do not cross mountains :) - how could they :). But there are some raillines going near mountains and you can have some nice views through the window.
If you really have so little time for mountains (and thus I suppose not too much equipment) try Bucegi (it's near Sinaia I have mentioned) - there's cable line so you can have a one day trip there without any problem.
About captions - I wish also :), I just don't have enough time for this - I didn't even put pictures from Thailand or Iran to my webpage.

Have a good trip! Romania rocks!
Antek
Old 03-06-2005, 04:59 AM
TE Junior Member

Hi Dan, We visited Transylvania in October through November. A lot of good suggestions already and I've managed to post a few photos since joining TE last week. I can't say on trains, as we drove, but http://www.cfr.ro/default_engleza.htm is the official Romanian rail site. www.bahn.de, the German rail site is easier to use and shows all the RO lines too.

I think Hunedoara Castle aka Corvin Castle is fantastic. As said, the painted monastaries in Bucovina are in a league of their own, but technically not in Transylvania. The Saxon villages of Harmann, Beirtan and others are close to Sighisoara, but not on train lines. Bus perhaps. Maramures is remote, but as said, truly unique and locked in time.

My absolute favorite city in Romania is Sibiu. Very photogenic, I thought.

Have a good trip.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:36 PM
TE Junior Member

The shepherds sound very interesting and I now have the option to go to Romainia for the first week of July rather than the first part of May. (In May I will visit Slovakia)

I imagine July would be much better for both the weather, length of day and the mountains/people.