Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 05-05-2004, 10:22 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Eastern Europe Trip -- Any Tips??

My Eastern Europe trip is coming up in less than a month! Here's what I'm thinking of at this point:

*Arrive Prague June 2
*Czech Republic: Prague, Cesky Krumlov, and maybe Olomouc (about a week or so)
*Slovakia: Maybe a couple of days in Bratislava
*Hungary: Budapest (3-4 days)
*Slovenia: Ljubljana, hiking/trekking around Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj, Piran (10 to 14 days)
*Croatia: Pula, Split, Hvar, Korcula, Dubrovnik (10 to 14 days)
*Bosnia: Sarajevo (a few days) -- Fly back from Sarajevo to Prague.
*Depart Prague July 14

This will be my first time in all of these places, so any tips, suggestions, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mimi
Old 05-06-2004, 12:02 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: Eastern Europe Trip -- Any Tips??

Hi,
I went to Croatia last year, and for me the trip has been :
- Zagreb
- Split
- Trogir (wonderful island at 30 km from Split and registered at UNESCO)
- Krka (a wonderful National Park (supposed to be Plitvice in smaller) : you can go there from Split (1 day trip), but i came there from Sibenik (another interesting town))
- Dubrovnik (don't miss of course the walk on the city walls and the Lokrum island)
- Mljet (another National Park + island (1day trip from Dubrovnik))

I made a lot of pictures of theses places. Some of them are on my web site : www.photographie.net/jerome . It is in French but don't hesitate to have a look at the pictures and if you have any question just ask it !
Old 05-07-2004, 12:26 PM
TE Newbie

Hi Mimi,

Nice plans you have. I am planning to go to Slovenia en Croatia in a few weeks myself.

here's a few tips/remarks on your scedule;

Bratislava; not really the most interesting capital in Eastern Europe. I think there are far better places on your route to spend a few extra days. Slovakia's greatest asset is its nature, not its capital.

Slovenia, Triglav national parc offers fantastic trekking opportunities but you are be a bit early in season. Most mountain huts open mid june. Higher up will still be a lot of snow.
There are still plenty opportunities to make day hikes but for real trekkings its too early.

Dont miss visiting one or two caves in Slovenia.
Best known is Postojna, my favourite is Skocjan.
A very special tip: krizna Jama.
For very little money you can do some 'real' cave exploring. See: http://www.burger.si/QTVR/Jame/KriznaJama/KriznaJamaENG.html

Croatia also has some fantastic national parcs.
Plitvice is extremely beautifull but it might be a bit far off your route.
Definetely try visiting Velebit and Krka. I also hear very good things about the islan Mljet (not for from Dubrovnik)

Good luck and I am looking forward to see the pics;-)

Joost
Old 05-09-2004, 07:12 PM
TE Junior Member

It's a bit out of your way, but I wouldn't want to miss transylvania. I was there for a one-weeker a couple of years ago and really want to go away. I can recommend Brasov (check out my romanian photos), a nice city with many sights and beautiful nature close by. The preserved medieval town of Sighisoara is also worth a visit, but maybe you've grown tired of medieval towns by that time, there are quite a few in eastern europe. The nature is also fabulous. Brasov and Sighisoara are maybe a little far off your route (approx. 8-10 h. by train) in the wrong end of Transylvania, I've heard that Cluj-Napoca is also really nice, and that's not so far from Budapest. If you're planning on going to any of these places and travel on a tight budget I can send you adresses to some really nice hostels in Sighisoara and Brasov. Although Romania is not part of the EU there are no problems getting into the country, you get a 30 day visa for free at the border.

I think 3-4 days for Budapest is enough time, I was actually a little disappointed by the city. Maybe I did the wrong things. One thing you shouldn't miss though are the turkish baths, the ones at Gellért are great.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:57 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Jerome -- Thanks

Thanks for the tips, Jerome. You've got some very nice pix of Croatia on your site.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:14 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Joost -- Thanks

Hi Joost -- Thanks for the info.

Thanks for teh comments on Bratislava. Funny. . . I've heard very mixed things. At first, I was going to skip it. I'd read that it was not that interesting and expensive, but then a student of mine said he loved it because there were very few tourists there. I'll see how I feel and how much time I have, but I may pass it over.

Krizna Jama looks great. . . thanks for the link. I can't seem to find any info, though, on getting there. Do you need a car or can you get there on public transport?

BTW, just out of curiousity, is your trip business or pleasure? Planning to do any trekking?

Mimi
Old 05-12-2004, 06:18 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Simon -- Thanks

Hi Simon -- Thanks for the info. It's pretty unlikely that I'll get to Romania this trip. I already feel a bit like I'm biting off more than I can chew (I tend to travel pretty slowly), but I will keep your suggestions in mind, and if I don't get there this trip, I will some day.

Mimi
Old 05-15-2004, 09:58 AM
TE Newbie

Default Re: To Joost -- Thanks

Hi mimi,

I dont think there's public transport to Krizna Jama. When went there last year i had my car.

My trip will be strictly pleasure and some family visits (my wife is Slovene). And yes, we are planning to do some trekking but not in the Slovene Alps. It will be a bit too early in season for that. Instead we are planning to go to the Velebit mountain range in northern Croatia.

Joost
Old 07-06-2004, 06:36 AM
TE Junior Member

Hungary stay at Backpack Guesthouse. It is the best hostel I've ever been in.
For partying at Hvar, you can climb the back wall for the club on the hill to save the $10 on cover. Skip the caves in Slovenia...it's nothing that impressive.
Sarajevo, finding good lodging is tough but there is a great little hotel for $10. It's in the turkish quarters, one street west of the underground shopping mall. You have to look around for it, but it's got a sign of a bed. There is a really nice Australian woman running it. If you want the name, I can probably look it up in my diary.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:12 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Bosnia & other places

Hi there, I've enjoyed your pictures here on TE (of Uganda especially).
I see you have been to Bosnia on your trip and wanted to ask you about some logistical details. I am hoping to go from Bratislava (by train) to Bosnia, Herzegovina and Yugoslavia with just a few days for each.

How was the public transport in and out of Bosnia and where were good places to stay?