Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 03-18-2005, 02:04 PM
TE Newbie

Default Best Colour Slide film for Tropics. 120/35mm

What would you fellow travellers recomend for lighting conditions between Thailand and south island NZ. during months of June and September. Regarding storage(Backpack) and local processing(Labs).

Mike.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Best Colour Slide film for Tropics. 120/35mm

for very saturated colours, i would recommend kodak VS and fuji velvia 100
( velvia 50 has not been given good reports by some people and i haven't used it myself, so don't want to recommend it, maybe some others are happy with it)

for more balanced, yet nice saturation you could try fuji provia 100/400 and the kodak e200

fuji blues and greens are better, while i find kodak reds and yellow better.
so i'd suggest you rake more fuji films

sometimes the velvia gets a bluish cast on the photographs. this can be removed when scanned. i don't know the reason for it. maybe it's because of the humidity.
i'm not too experienced with slides myself. so look out for other people's recommendations as well
take care :)
Old 03-18-2005, 06:01 PM
TE Junior Member

There are a 2 labs in Thailand that do E6 listed in the database at:
Yahoo Groups: TravelPhotography
Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 PM
TE Junior Member

I found one E6 lab in Chiang Mai, Thailand that's right next door to the Rydges hotel just outside the centre of town. They offer 135/120/220 E6 processing, C41 processing. The C41 I had done was excellent-- I had only one bad roll of E6 that turned very blue but I'm not sure if it was me, the film or their lab. They do sell a good range of professional films so they're not just a High Street lab with a Fuji Frontier-- their fridge is well stocked (when I last checked). Expect a 24-hour turnaround at minimum. I paid about half the price of what I'd pay in Australia (which is already quite well priced-- AUD$7 per roll at a pro-lab).

Photo Bug
42-46 Chaiyapoom Road, Changmoi District Meung Chang Mai.

I found slide film in Thailand to be moderately cheaper than where I live (Australia). I pay AUD$19-22 for a roll of Kodak E100VS or Fuji Velvia, the places I asked at they wanted 350+baht for pro film and I haggled to about 200+baht for amateur E6s. When I was there, it was AUD$1.00 = 27-28baht. Outside Bangkok and Chiang Mai you're going to find it very difficult to find E6 so stock up before you go and take the opportunity to get some when you see it there (otherwise you'll be shooting Fuji Superia or Kodak Max!)

I haven't sampled a great many slide films and cannot afford the professional emulsions so my opinions about slide films is pretty limited. If I went again though, I'd pick a punchy slide film and pack a warming filter or two in the bag-- I suffered a bit on cloudy days with neutral emulsions.

You'll notice the sun is really quite bright down near the equator-- rarely needed ISO200 film to get a decent shutter speed until I went further north on overcast days. I pushed it to 400 for interiors and jungle treks and never felt stretched with a fast 50mm.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:19 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks! you guys for all your info and experiences. This site really shines when it comes to people sharing their wealth of knowledge. The world is not such a bad place when you find these good people.
Thanks TE for providing such a great platform.

Sincerely Mike.