Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 06-10-2005, 02:25 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Points....for what they are worth.

Paul, Ive given you some smileys and Ive receivd some from you. The thing is that its not a community thats impossible to brak through. It takes time and effort to establish your own circle but its posible to establish new relationships with old members as well as new ones and create your own circle. What it takes is a lot of effort, writing critiques every day.In my case, before I really got involved my photos were not noticed. Id get 2 or 4, sometimes 8 points. Recently Ive been getting between 20 and 30 points per photo on a regular basis. I think my pictures have improved but its also a fact that I have established relationships with a group of users. You have to give more critiques than you do Paul.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
TE Expert

Default Just as an aside

Ive noticed that yo have been here for a year longer than me. Yet you have given out 72 critiques. Ive given out over 900. I think this is where your troubles start Paul. People dont notice you because you arent making yourself visible. There are so many photos here each day that you wont get noticed unless you do something about it. And that means critiques and comments.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:40 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: What are you complaining about?!

If anyone is tired of the points and crowds and would like to participate in a smaller community please send me a PM.

939/244 Batting record
3.8 Critiques Written per Image Posted
;o)
Old 06-10-2005, 04:05 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: What are you complaining about?!

I like that calculation Bob. I checked my own "batting record."

1595 critiques / 250 images posted = 6.38

How about critiques received divided by critiques given?

2283 critiques received (not points) / 1595 critiques given = 1.43

I guess folks have been pretty generous with me. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-10-2005, 02:27 PM
TE Expert

>What can points mean here on TE ?
>IMHO(...)
>it doesn't say anything very clear until
>the written critique gives the right value to points
>so in fact
>the written critique indicates the right extend of appreciation

I fully agree with you, Henk. I mostly give 2 points smileys, but that doesn't prevent me from making any remark that I want in the written critique. I take the time to write what I think about a picture, both what I like and what I don't like, and this is for me the real meaning of the critique, not the points (which I take as an encouragement, an aknowledgement that a picture has been noticed). The same with the critiques I receive : I value the points given only in the light of the words written with it, and I care more for an honest critique with no points than for a smiling "good picture" critique.

As for Paul, I'll say as everybody : if you want to be noticed, act accordingly. It seems to me that you are not doing so bad, given you own involvement in the community.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:58 PM
TE Newbie

Actually, while I did join trekearth early, it was while I was travelling overseas for a year and only had the odd chance to get on a computer. Only since I have been back in New Zealand that I have started to make an effort. You are right about making more of an effort...but i am pretty amazed at people that can write 20 a day or more. That requires a lot of dedication, time and brain energy! well done.