Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Luko 2006-01-03 4:00

Hi Sohrab,

this'll be both my first comment and first fav for the year for one of the first photogs in here... I mean everything is perfect here, taking apart the fact that it's a sloppy scan from a contact sheet, : composition, boat as a background, incredible timing, contrast, etc.
I really have nothing to nitpick about : what can I say then? I just wonder what were the conditions when you shot this one, you seem so close that it seems you were dipping yourself in the Ganges.

You really have a great piece of work, Sohrab, I mean it... although you're taking a different, more immediately artistic and personal way than say, MarkGong or Maciek who on their sides get perhaps more publishing ops...(nothing negative in any side of the comparison, I'm only pointing that the two fellows are searching for documentaries while you're catching the atmosphere)... perhaps this is your strength too, you don't seem stressed by any kind of "publishing" pressure over you and let go your own imagination and selctng your own topics.

Old 01-03-2006, 12:47 PM
TE Expert

Default To Luko: hey..

i'll keep this short.. as my connection is not working well.. AS USUAL and it's taken me about 10 minutes and various attempts to open this reply page.. and i don't even know if it will get posted...

the conditions....

well.. i don't know if you remember the other contact scan of the naga sadhu who was in the river.. i was in the water with him..

this was taken during the winter.. and it was really really cold to get into the water..and i dind't have a change of clothes or a towel :)
however had this man been far from the edge then i'd have definitely got in..
but luckily he was near the steps..
so i was just prostrated on the last step taking the photograph in order to get as close to the water level as possible

to be honest.. it's not like i'm not stressed.. not about publishing.. but you know just doing something with the photograph.. but i'm just giving myself a little time to experiment..

also.. i'm trying to develop 2 styles simultaneously.. one that is publishable.. and the other personal..
for example.. i've just got a fellowship to cover the movements that are taking place in the remote regions of india.. which is going to be pretty much documentary work.. and will hopefully be published.. but i will need to take a break from it once in a while and so i will need to freak out in banaras or wherever else ..

also i've got strict instructions from a serious photographer.. who kind of checks my work once in a while and is teaching me printing.. not to compromise my vision and not to fall for any offers for a magazine or a newspaper job as it will kill my love/zeal/vision for photography.. so let's see.. just giving it a while..

if my connection is better later i'll upload the orint of this photograph that i made.. have to say it's really really addictive.. i mean printing.. i haven't really got out of my room since the 31st of december.. :)
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To Luko: hey..

I'll leave my critique in here Sohrab. Amazing work...absolutely amazing. I hope i don't tick anyone off when I say this, but you are the prolific and best photographer here on TrekEarth. Having seen your photographs grow with time is like waiting for fine wine. I can only dream of having similar vision for photos.

I am willing to bet you will make it into Magnum or Vu before it is all said and done.

Amazing to see how far we have all come from only a few years ago.

Too many new great years and great photos.

Your friend,
Mark