Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 AM
TE Junior Member

Default Shooting from the hip

Any thoughts on this? I know some photographers that swear by it. I think once you get it down, it can be very good way to get a shot that would otherwise be missed. I love a good composition as much as the next guy, but I hate it when I miss a decisive moment cause I can't get the camera up fast enough or distrupt a scene sometimes by bringing the camera up.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:16 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: Shooting from the hip

I love a good composition as much as the next guy, but I hate it when I miss a decisive moment cause I can't get the camera up fast enough or distrupt a scene sometimes by bringing the camera up.

I seldom use the hipshot trick, except for some other opportunities than decisive moments. I think it mainly helps for enhancing the dynamics of a not specifically decisive scene or boosting some natural environmental portraits.

For me decisive moments are the one you were able to anticipate, hence you have some time to frame them.
Otherwise I reckon hipshooting can be rewarding and provide some unexpected spices in the overall compo of your pic... until it starts to be a gimmick...

Cheers
Luko
Old 02-23-2006, 03:18 PM
TE Expert

Yep, Ive done it many times actually. Several of those shots are on TE and got some nice responses.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 PM
TE Senior Member

I don't swear by it, but it is necesary sometimes, just as holding the camera above your head to shoot from above the crown... from the hip is similar, giving it a more dramatic angle and, of course, catching that on-the-fly decisive moment. Yet, nothing beats composing a shot through the viewfinder but sometimes you just can't or you will lose the shot. yet, you do have to think before shooting, make sure the focus is going to hit where you want it to, make sure the light is good enough for a fast speed if you are walking because you won't be able to change anything effectively from the hip and you can only do it with a wide angle (well, I need a WD lens to do this, the 50mm will crop it all to hell).
Old 02-24-2006, 08:32 AM
TE Expert

Check this site. It's a bit pricey but it can really help your hip or over the head shooting ;-)