Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 AM
TE Newbie

Default Admin re: System Doctor Pop-Up

I really object to the System Doctor Pop-Up. I do not want any software installing on my PC thank you very much and this one is more than a little persistent.

I realise that the site needs advertisers to stay in business but surely this sort of tactic is counterproductive for the advertiser as well as the site owner. I have added the site to my firewall and I hope that that is the last I see of it.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:26 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: Admin re: System Doctor Pop-Up

Martin,
I'm a member of this site for about 2 years now, and i didn't received any pop up from here never ever.
Mario
Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 AM
TE Expert

same here.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 AM
TE Senior Member

I've once received a very persistent pop-up window (I think it was SytemDoctor; however some kind of "you-need-to-check-your-system"-thingy) and it appeared when the "page can not be found on TrekEarth"-window was shown.

However I don't think this is an ordinary advertisement on this site (TE), but rather some kind of illegal "hijacking" of the page. If so, it's serious and should be looked into.

Kaj
Old 12-18-2006, 02:11 AM
TE Expert

This apparently is some kind of variant of the WinFixer spyware installed on client machines, and the popups are triggered when visiting certain pages. I recommend those who see this behavior run a virusscan/spyware scan to check for this.

There should be no popups displayed on this site at all. If you still see popups on this site after running a spyware/virus check, please email me a screenshot of the page where it happens. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:23 AM

Martin, you might want to investigate some anti-spyware software - of the legitimate variety ;)

Some useful links on my site here

Strange as it sounds I'd avoid any product that's being advertised, particularly by aggressive pop-ups...
Old 12-18-2006, 02:42 AM
TE Senior Member

Personally I run Ad-Aware SE on a weekly basis and I'm very satisfied with that protection. But evidently some spy-ware might sneak in between runs.

As said, it has only happened once and I wasn't quite aware that this was the behavior of a spy-ware program.

Thanks for all the info.

Kaj
Old 12-18-2006, 03:28 AM

I must admit I really like the innoculation features of SpybotS&D, it's very much more a realtime blocker than a sweeper, if you see what I mean? That said, Ad-Aware's also excellent :D
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TE Newbie

Thanks for that!

I run Ad-Aware, Spybot and Spyware Blaster - though I may not have run them this week! I shall update and run them. Hopefully, I won't see that rubbish again! (Incidentally I was only getting the pop-up on this site not any of the other I regularly use - hence the question)

Thanks again for the prompt feedback
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM
TE Junior Member

Hi Martin, I had a similar problem in the past (although I don't think it was TE-specific), but in my case, running those programs didn't fix the problem. I found a web site (www.geekstogo.com) that was really able to help and fixed my problem with a similar pop-up. You may also want to look at this page where they give a good list of other spyware programs that may help. Good luck.