Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Old 12-08-2003, 10:31 PM

Default My secrets - What I do on my photos...

A few time ago some asked me about my workflow on my pictures to achieve the results I get. So I’ve decided to explain what I do. I’m not an expert, and far from being the best on TE, but after the interest shown it’s possible that my workflow would be useful for younger members.

I take, literally, hundreds of photos to choose only a few that I think are good. Usually, I shoot more than one photo of the same object in the same position with slight differences of positions (a bit more or less zoom, a bit more to the right and left...) in order to choose the best. Also using different configurations. As my camera is a point-and-shoot it’s harder to get the photo right at the first attempt, because you don’t have the notion get by a Reflex camera, so quantity leads to quality...

Besides the usual compositions I try to shoot unusual angles. This is more important in very well known monuments. The regular photos everybody knows... Also try details.

After, the photos taken I choose the best ones and start the post-processing work.

I use Paint Shop Pro 8 software. I believe that this one’s better for the less experienced like me.

In every photo I try the tools listed under, and usually by the order. Sometimes I don’t apply it as the results don’t match what I expect, but try them always varying the intensity of the tool.

-Correct the horizon, geometry and lens distortion
- Crop tool (for composition. If not sure, work on the photo and crop at the end)
- Clone tool (remove small distracting details)
- adjust / color balance / fade correction
- adjust / brightness and contrast/ clarify (sometimes several times over selected areas – that’s how I get some skies. It brings the details up but create noise)
- adjust / brightness and contrast/ brightness and contrast
- adjust / color balance / automatic color balance
- adjust / brightness and contrast/ automatic contrast enhancement
- adjust / hue and saturation / automatic saturation enhancement
- adjust / sharpness (many times create undesired effects as glows)
- adjust / add-remove noise / salt and pepper filter (to remove the glows from the sharpening)

Beside this, sometimes I use manual corrections but it’s very rare. I don’t understand them well and don’t have much time to explore...

Also use different tools available depending on each photo.

To remove the noise I use the Neat Image shareware.

These are my secrets! Hope they’re useful!
Old 12-09-2003, 01:31 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: My secrets - What I do on my photos...

I think this should be posted in Tips and Techniques. I would have appreciated such a "check list" for things to do when I began taking digital photos and using Photoshop.

I do most of this but there are a few steps that I forget sometimes, such as a basic like taking the pics on different angles. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:22 PM

I guess you're right, I should have posted this under Tips-Techniques...

As I usually don't visit that forum (not enough time to do everything) I forgot it existed... Thanks for reminding me that! :-)
Old 12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
TE Junior Member

All I could say is thank you for sharing your secrets. This is very helpful. Very much appreciated.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:33 AM
TE Junior Member

Obrigada so no mes passado comecei a usar a minha maquina com frequencia, e agora nao saio de casa sem maquina. Admiro muito o teu talento em fotografia e agradeco muito os teu segredo.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:33 AM
TE Newbie

Thanks a million José !
This is very interresting and helpful. I can see you are very well organized with your post-processing what I I am not really personnaly (I am rather "draft"). But based on yours precious advices I am going to improved myself and begin so good than you... I hope !

One of your secret you did not tell about is that you have a gift to find exceptionnal subject... you have the eyes of a pic's hunter.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:00 PM
TE Expert

thanks to post this good contribution. En plus d'apprendre des opérations techniques, je fais des progrès en anglais (bon là, c'est encore trop dur, je reste en français ! )
Comme je travaille encore avec une pellicule, il est certain que je ne prends pas suffisemment le même sujet sous différents angles ; il est vrai que le numérique est plus intéressant de ce point de vue.
félicitations
Pierrot
Old 08-08-2004, 01:10 AM
TE Newbie

merci pour ces précisions que je trouve tès intéressantes. je copie la liste. merci
Old 09-05-2004, 07:41 PM
TE Expert

Very useful text, full of tips and "secrets"! Thanks for sharing Jose!

Best regards
Mpampis
Old 09-21-2004, 03:17 AM
TE Newbie

I don't alter my photos at all. I leave them in there orginal stage.