Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2008-04-17 1:46

I am wondering why you didn't upload your image in a colored version. I'm now left with my imagination : neonlights should provide a gloomy green lighting that would perfectly match the scene (providing you DO NOT switch to AWB), also giving a tropical, 3rd world flavor (when you say Cuba, you think about DA.Harvey).
I think as it is, it lacks the essential color cast, other wise it's a good photograph but with a composition or not so overwhelming that BW speaks for itself. Instead there's an unappealing greayish halo of light hovering in the upper part of the image. As you pointed the moths and the child glance are the main attractions in the shot : a color cast would have been another one... but that grey halo... hell not...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:47 AM
TE Junior Member

Default To Luko: My rational

I knew I can count on you for a good critique Luko :). A few things bothered me about the original color version of the photo (I posted a workshop of it):

1. The color of the girl's shirt and pink plate was a bit too bright and was too distracting.
2. I know the DA Harvey color cast of light you are referring to, but try as I might, I just can't get that beautiful creepy, dank, moody green cast that Kodachrome offers. Digital colors will never match the gorgeous tones of Kodachrome IMO
3. Well...there is no three really...haha

Maybe I'll keep messing around with the image levels to get that color cast right.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Luko: My rational

I still think the color Ws is better than the original posting, even though the cast is a bit disspointing on that DAH side, I agree :) ... but you know how to tweak each color density by color channel, through Lightroom, don't you?

Are you using some funky color balance when you process your shots? As for myself I'm quite happy with "natural sunlight" most of the times, less often I switch to a "cloudy/overcast" profile. But the AWB... God forbids...