Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

markgong 2008-04-18 9:58

Exellent timing with the motor drive Luko ;). Good shot but it bothers me that there is so much sky in this photo. Added to that, the child buried in the fishing net on the lower left corner of the photo would of been enough reason to just tilt the camera down a bit more to see what's reveled.

I haven't seen your work in ages so it's refreshing to catch up. I am surprised that you are using a big zoom lens instead of primes though. Is it because it's easier to travel with?

Best,
Mark

Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
TE Expert

Default To markgong: zoom

Thanks for your comments, Mark.

Yeah, as you experience it everyday, photo is often a trade off, it's ghard to get it right everytime.
I really wanted to keep the sky color, I was wandering on that seaside, marveling at the green nets vs. orangy sky color looking for an opportunity of a good catch, when I spotted these boys.
I didn't really know where the boy's sommersault would lead me in the upper part and would have hated to cut hi sfeet, so I prefed a rather large framing on the top part and wanted also to include the little laughing kid at the left handside corner.. plus I was looking for a good location for the man passing by in the background... woooow... I gave him the start for his jump and fitted in like you see now. It' the kind of photo, you can't make twice...

Primes : I really don't see any difference now between primes and zoom lenses, as therer were in the film days. I already take three cameras with me, i'm not going to overload myself with primes.
What are you shooting with now with your D3?

Luko
Old 04-19-2008, 05:36 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To markgong: zoom

I completely get the unpredictability of kids playing. I did a quick workshop on this photo where I cropped and rotated the image just slightly. For me it's better to crop out the man on the right side to focus on the left side of the image. The five layers work better in my opinion after the crop so the eye works in a circle from subject to subject, especially drawing more attention to the kids in the water all the way in the back.

I think you don't crop your photos after you take it, right?

Best,
Mark
Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To markgong: zoom

Oh yes, the D3 is an excellent camera but I found it too big and bulky to be an effective street photography camera. It takes longer for the subject to get use to it and it's a pain in the ass to carry around. I prefer to just have a 5D with a prime lens for street photography...heck, I'm even thinking of getting an used Konica Hexar!