Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emercamaya 2004-12-14 22:41

Beautiful! I would like to climb up that peak someday.

This shot could have been taken a number of ways, depending on the subject, the message you want to convey or the overall effect you want to achieve.

1. Use a very long DOF (you can accomplish this by setting your aperture to minimum (i.e. the highest F-stop number you can use, then allow a longer shutter exposure; btw, you would need a camera that allows you maximum manual flexibility); this effect will allow total overall sharpness, with the foregound framing the peak. However, this might make the photo appear flat.
2. Use a shallow DOF (open your aperture to maximum (i.e. the lowest f-stop, however, you might need to adjust your shutter speed to the fastest setting to avoid overexposure). Here you've got two choices:
A. Focus on the foreground, as you did, to give the effect of a long journey, which could be best achieved by graduating focus on layers of depth. This could also convey the things that one would normally only feel if one was actually there, like a light breeze, which I think you have captured well on the photo.
B. Focus on the peak. This will give the effect of a forward looking journey where obstacles, however entagling they are, don't mean much or don't matter any.

In any case, I'd say this is a wonderful picture.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:25 PM
TE Newbie

Default To emercamaya: tnx

hi emer, thanks for your wonderful comment. i'll remember your suggestions
and will try to do them when i climb again :D