Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great Dpbours 2009-02-16 3:54

Hello Jean Pierre,

The dynamic light control of the D300 surely has big advantages with this one. The ceiling comes out quite well, though in a pretty dark space there. Nice.
The 50mm f/1.4G. I have the old one and I'm not sure what the big advantage is at 50mm of the silent wave motor. I normally don't need to focus speed at a fixed focal length lense, but yes it is a nice improment technically.

Greetings!
Dennis

Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 PM
TE Expert

Default To Dpbours: 50mm AFS

Dont worry ! The new 50mm ultrasonic motor is slow ( perhaps the old AFD is faster...) but the focus precison is stunning. I think it's the best way when you need a very low DOF. I dont think this lens is made to be used at f/16 !!!!!
Thnaks for passing by
JP
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Dpbours: 50mm AFS

That is interesting to hear that it is perhaps slower than the old AFD! The focus precision in the old 50mm is already spot-on!

Think the lenses are more or less identical and the new one is mostly for users of the D40x etc without a AF servo in the body.

Greetings! Dennis
Old 02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
TE Expert

Not slower but same speed as AFD on a D300. Slower than the pro zoom 17-55 or 70-200.
I have sold my AiS 50 f/1.2 without autofocus : very difficult to get the right focus with my old eyes !
Construction is better than AFD due to IF design and moisture protection, also rounded 9 blades diaph and sharper than AFD at 1.4.
Don't need to change the old design to the new one.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:01 AM
TE Expert

Yes, true about the moisture protection. No one thinking about rain back then. Surely the developers have never been to the Netherlands or the UK ;-)

Greetings! Dennis