Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great ilDottore 2008-09-01 9:11

Hi Francesco,
Absolutely fantastic photo of this beautiful church.
I like especially the composition, light and walls textures.
Best Regards
Chris

Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
TE Junior Member

Default To cdmonson: Trek Photo

1. Yes, we all had to trek in. Rented a couple of horses for heavy luggage (including cartons of wine) in. From the trail-head, the trek is 10.5 kms. I was the last one in to the lodge after 5.5 hours. I and another were hit by strong winds from Deception Pass, thunder, lightning and cold rain for the last one hour. I was soaked through. Better weather on the way out. (Including bride and groom, we were 34 persons at the lodge in total.) It took me just 5 hours on the return. The worst stretch is the climb up to Deception Pass. You need to move sideways. I thought it a wonderful experience. I would never have done this on my own, otherwise. By the way, I am celebrating my 74th birthday today.

2. Now, re photo! Just from past experience, e.g. mountains of Papua New Guinea, UV increases with altitude. Air is thinner, clearer, cleaner. I like a UV filter all the time over the lens these days. With the cloud build-up, starting to show in the photo, and the storm arriving within three hours, I sharpened the photo moderately, even though it would have been quite acceptable otherwise.

3. There is snow in the mountains well into summer, so I would say trek in late July or August.
I will upload one photo tomorrow from the trek out. You might like this one better - taken morning time. Do comment! I have 100 - 150 quite reasonable shots from the trek. I used photography as an excuse for stopping and catching my breath.

Cheers, thank you for inquiring, the trek is and was fabulous.

Ken
Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To cdmonson: Trek Photo

Hi Ken:

Happy 75th! Yes, this is one that I've wanted to do--I'll have to make time for it next time I'm there. Glad to hear you're still going strong at 74. I'll be lucky if I'm still going strong at 50. :) I'd love to see as many shots of the trip as you've got. Thanks for the info.

Clark
Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
TE Junior Member

Default Re: To cdmonson: Trek Photo

Sorry, don't know where my head was--let me revise my statement...Happy 74th! :) Man...it's been a long day. :)

Clark