Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great bboss 2005-09-10 11:54

Good job, a rare photo with a clear political message. I like that a lot, and its hard to get that in a photo - usually the meaning is ambigious and we rely upon the accompanying text to tell us what to think about it.
And of course its rare to see a photo from Palestine on TE (not exactly a tourist destination I guess).
We should remember that its important to talk about politics, and I applaud you for helping to stimulate thoughts on this difficult issue.
cheers , David
(I am not sure you can be pro-Palestinian and pro-Israeli at the same time though)

Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 AM
TE Newbie

Default To bboss: Be Sure

Thanks for the nice response David. How you can be pro-both is by being pro-peace, pro-fair-peace. I have friends on both sides. Most of them agree. Too bad the Zionists in power do not. Too bad the Hamas types do not. But they are the vast minority on both sides. Happy to discuss this further if you wish.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:53 AM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To bboss: Be Sure

Pro-peace - yes thats a good idea, but what you mean by a fair peace is anybodies guess. If there was any kind of consensus of opinion there may be some kind of hope, but unfortunately I do not believe there is. This is bad for the Israelis but a complete disaster for Palestinians.
If you follow events quite closely you have to conclude that although most Israelis want to live in peace, the Israeli government does not, and it uses every opportunity to escalate the level of violence which increases the desperation and militancy of the Palestinians. The government can then use the eneviteable attacks for justification of furthur repression with the ultimate goal of taking from the Palestinians any useful asset (good land, water etc) and rendering a Palestinian state unviable. OK so the Israelis may let them have a few small pieces of crap land (Gaza for instance) but negotiation on more valuable places will not happen. And of course all their action is rubber stamped by the us administration.
sorry for the rant but I feel very strongly about this.
I am interested to know what kind of settlement your friends agree on.
cheers, David
Old 09-11-2005, 03:17 AM
TE Newbie

I agree with most of what you have stated. What they agree on is very simple: that Israel abandon the settlements, pull back behind the '67 borders, allow Palestine to become a free state, and to share Jerusalem--West for Israel and East for Palestine with old Jerusalem as a free International zone. Details of course are difficult--but please note in the most recent Gallup poll, 70% of Israelis were for pulling back behind the Green Line. That's where the hope is, if only the common sense of the people could carry the day. But without a truthful, comprehensive, non-partisan global media, in combination with truly wise world leaders--there is little hope. In short, there is little hope. But a little is better than none.

Thanks for your voice.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:34 PM
TE Senior Member

pulling back to 67 borders and sharing jerusalem .. dream on. You may be right that this is what 70% of israelis want (Palestinians would be happy with a lot less), but this illustrates well the con of democracy - that the government is not serious about delivering what the people want. Most people want less poverty in the world but our 'democratic' governments are incapable of achieving this. Whoever the Israelis vote for their government is not going to implement these sensible ideas, not unless they are forced to by some outside authority, which is not even imaginable at the present time.
maybe as the sun sets on the american empire there will be more hope?
Old 09-11-2005, 06:26 PM
TE Newbie

Yes, dream on...

The sunset of the American empire will not help. A great American leader might, but again, dream on. Of course the Israelis themselves could do it, but as most of us know, the powers that be have no intention of doing so. Quite the opposite.
Take Care,
B.