Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great alftrek 2008-09-08 7:32

hello Steve,
Looks like you still got plenty of wild life shots on the queue for posting. The quality of this photo is first classed with excellent lighting, and the number of feathers can be counted.

From the info, I gathered that you were using a 500mm prime lens, a Nikon equilvalent will cost me a fortune to acquire. I like the result.

TFS
Alfred

Old 09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To alftrek: 500m

Hi Alfred, the lens I used is a 500mm reflex. This is an inexpensive way to get 500mm. It uses mirrors rather than glass to achieve the 500mm, refelcting the light back through the centre of the lens. As the light is not bent through glass, there is no chromatic aberation and the focus is v. sharp. It is also very light to carry. The downsides are that it is fixed f8 (as the hole it reflects back though is fixed) and it produces an unattractive bokeh (not evident in this shot) where bright OOF points make a donut shape. It cost me about AUD500 2nd hand. cheers, Steve