Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2008-09-21 6:39

It would be ANOTHER good true life pic IF...
the boy wasn't looking straight into your lens but rather participating to the action, it just kills the balance of teh oement for me, like if there was two schizophrenic scenes in the same frame, one wher you asked them to pose, the other one full of action.
I really prefer the second scene, as I don't care with artificial posing in front of the photograher. Photography is about time, pose kills the time.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:34 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Luko: Interpretations

Hi Luko--It's interesting how people can put dramatically differing interpretations on a photo that has action or a story it's trying to tell. I don't know if you saw my reply to Horatiu, but the boy in yellow is not posing. He has just made a grab at the boy in orange, who has then jumped into the street to escape, resulting in a near collision with a passing tourist (me.) Presumably the yellow boy is glancing briefly (at the precise moment of my shot) at the tourist to see if he is angered by this. He is not likely posing since the tourist's camera is not raised to his face, though it is pointed in the boys' direction "from the hip." (There was no time to raise it!) But...I can see now how the instant that I caught gives the yellow boy somewhat of the look of a deliberate pose. It's valuable to me to know other ways the photo can be read.

I am not "hesitating" between commitment to photojournalistic vs. landscape shots--I have always been opportunistic, going with what is available. I do put more personal value on the photojournalism, despite getting lower points for it, as I wrote about in a recent forum post. So I'm glad to know you find those more powerful.

Thanks for all your comments, regards, Ken.