Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Good Luko 2008-09-27 4:24

Ken, this is a case where I am torn between two impressions. The content and the composition are the main strength of your image. I cannot pick anything on this side.

On the other hand, I don't care much for your BW conversion which is a bit flat and dull. Also I'm not really fond of the metallic tone, for a reason I cant explain, I have toned all my prints that came out from My egyptian trips, giving them a warm tint. Don't ask me why : probably Maxime du Camp came back to my mind.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:07 PM
TE Senior Member

Default To Luko: Metallic tones and warm tints

A very useful critique on your part, Luko--thanks.

I agree this image does not have as much dynamic range as one would like in B/W. But I hesitate to introduce it artificially via extreme use of "Curves"--that never works out well, for me. And somehow introducing a color tint (even slight, much less extreme than a full sepia) always gives me the impression of reducing contrast as well.

When you say you toned your prints, I presume you also mean only a slight tint. And by "metallic tone" I suppose you mean the tones of a true grayscale, right?

Regards, Ken.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
TE Senior Member

Default Re: To Luko: Metallic tones and warm tints

By the way--all I know of Maxime du Camp is "very old photos of Egypt." Was he known for some kind of deliberate toning, or did his photos just become sepia with age, like many others?

Glad you liked the "Midnight...#3" shot. I think it may be my favorite from the whole trip.

Ken
Old 09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
TE Expert

Default Re: To Luko: Metallic tones and warm tints

Hi Ken,
I haven't pushed further than yourself my investigations on Du Camp, hence I cannot tell whether he deliberately toned or not. I would rather suppose the sepia decay came from the years.

However like route 66 which says Robert Johnson, the guitarist who sold his soul, and Robert Frank when it comes to photo, Du Camp springs up to mind whenever Egypt is associated with photos.

The first egyptian shots I had taken in the mid 90's and that I printed in my dark room where pretty much too urban, hence I decided to slightly sepia tone them and afterwards give them a gold toner bath. believe it or not they highly benefited from the processing, it gave them both a countryside atmosphere and the additional formalism that regular BW could not replicate.

cheers
Luko