Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great emka 2021-11-16 6:45

Hello Paul, Wonderful tunnel of the trees and especially attractive with the autumn colours. I like here tg=he reddish path. Are these birch trees? Birch looks very beautiful with the bright yellow small leaves. I saw a very similar photo in Google Map, maybe the same place. I see that you live very close to the African Museum, that is so attractive. Also, it is not far from the arboretum. Pity I didn't know about this area when I was in Brussels.
I also have nice wild parks near where I live. To say nothing about my own wild neglected garden. I took some autumn photos, but what for?
Best regards MAlgo

Old 11-16-2021, 06:39 PM
TE Expert

Default To emka: Birch trees, etc.

Thank you Malgo,

Yes, a lot of birch trees grow here.
This narrow pedestrian path (or bike path) cannot be seen on Google Maps.

There are some very narrow roads in this area where a car is allowed to drive in one direction and that can be found on Google Maps.
I assume you mean one of those roads. I also looked but did not immediately find a place with birches.

But how can you know where exactly in our village to start looking on Google Maps?

From home to the Africa Museum (along smaller streets and country roads) is a 25 minute-walk, even though the museum is located in a neighbouring municipality.
It is a little further to the arboretum, but it is still possible to walk.

Foreign visitors to Brussels never come near this area. They would rather go to the Bois de la Cambre / Terkamerenbos (actually an offshoot of the Sonian Forest), which is still within the city limits and easily accessible by tram from the center.
See https://visit.brussels/en/place/Bois-de-la-Cambre

I'm not sure whether the Africa Museum is much visited by foreign visitors to Brussels or Belgium ... I suppose one must already have a great interest in Africa for that.
In any case in the surrounding park, I mainly see people who live in the city. When I was young, the park was often visited by people who lived in the surrounding villages. As a child I sometimes had a picnic there with my parents.

Nowadays the park is very busy on sunny days. So busy that many walk around with a mouth mask. The weekend is definitely to be avoided.
That's because the entrance to the park has a good tram connection with Brussels, followed by the metro all the way into the center.

Kind regards,
Paul
Old 11-17-2021, 06:20 PM
TE Expert

Hi Paul,

Of course, I didn't know where exactly is your place. I just look around Wezembeek -Oppem. 25 min walk means it is not far. And when the place, like Africa Museum, is known mainly to locals, the better. I like such places very much. It is why I liked TE meetings so much when someone guided me to less-visited places.

Best regrads MAlgo
Old 11-17-2021, 10:23 PM
TE Expert

Hi Malgo,

Maybe I should be a little more specific.

In the past the park of Tervuren used to be mainly a place where people from the surrounding municipalities came.
In the meantime, it has grown into a park that mostly attracts residents of Brussels. Especially on weekends and on sunny days.

The Africa Museum (located at the entrance of the park, seen from the terminus of the tram from Brussels) does enjoy broad national fame.

I don't really know whether there is much interest from visitors from abroad in this museum.
But in the park I only hear Flemish and French spoken.
Foreign visitors to the museum will then have a specific interest in Africa and not just be tourists who visit Brussels (or Belgium).
I searched their website to see if they mention anything about the origin of their visitors, but I couldn't find anything.
I have heard that several Africans also contributed to the recent renovation of the museum.

All the best!
Paul