Forums

Go Back   The TrekEarth Forums >

Notices

Great holmertz 2022-07-09 8:15

Hello Chris,
Atatürk is well known, but I don't recognize the young lady beside the records. She doesn't look quite as ancient as some of those seen on the wall. The collections seems to cover a long period of Turkish recording history. It certainly looks like an interesting collection, but I would be just as keen on tasting the restaurant, provided the food is as good as the environment. The three photos take us away from the most common TE sights.
Best regards,
Gert

Old 07-09-2022, 04:34 PM
TE Expert

Default To holmertz: Restaurant.

Hej Gert

The majority of trip advisors rated the food and service as 4 stars and atmosphere as 4.5 stars. Here's a typical review.

"A great place, especially if you come from overseas. It starts at the door, where you are asked to cover your shoes. Better still, take them off and use the provided slippers. Everything is carpeted inside, and you will feel more 'at home'. Because once you see the interior and enjoy the ambience, you will likely want to stay for at least a tea or coffee. You can chose to sit at a conventional table or taking your meal the traditional way, sitting on floor cushions, with the sini, a big round brass tray as table. It's all wonderfully eclectic, with artefacts from all areas of daily life scattered all around. The place is like a labyrinth, opening one room, and yet another, and seemingly endless, each decorated richly. The food is great, you can try Erzurum kurufasulye (beans) or the local çullaması (made with either dried mulberries or 'fruit leather' - pestil. Or ask for half and half, they will accommodate your wishes, and sample both types. It's a real quirky Erzurum dish, and elsewhere in Turkey little heard of. Alternatively, sit back on those cushions and have a nargile. It's a wonderful place." Never tried a nargile anywhere in Turkey or the Middle East / Morocco. Food in Turkey was consistently fresh and delicious imho. The bread is far better than the heavily processed stuff we get in Australia.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...i-Erzurum.html
Old 07-09-2022, 08:40 PM
TE Expert

Sounds great. Turkish food is usually very good, I would say among the best in the world, but places like this could turn out to be tourist traps. I hope not in this case.
Cheers,
Gert