Foto's

Photographer's Note

Palm House - Castle Garden Vienna (Google translate)

Address:
Castle Garden
Castle Ring, Ring opera
A-1010 Vienna

The Palm House
The preservation of old valuable buildings is one of the great tasks of our time, the revitalization of the glass-houses also affectionately called "palm houses," called - is one of these challenges. The Palm House in the castle garden is a mixture of late historicism, Baroque and Art Nouveau, but awesome in its integration into the existing ensemble of the New Imperial Palace. The last great Orangery of Europe: a swan song of the Habsburgs' size.

The history
The glass house in the castle garden, officially called the Palm House was built in the period in which the art in the historicism and fled the nature of 'urban green' is replaced, it was.

The imperial council and office of Director of Hofbaudirektion Ludwig von Remy built after the demolition of the original building (built 1698) from 1823 to 1826 in the castle garden includes an orangery corresponding to that in Schönbrunn, a classical greenhouse "of about 130 in length, which was maintained until the turn of the century. The demolition took place in 1901, was started simultaneously with the construction of the Court architect, designed by Friedrich Ohmann designed new "Palm House", whose redevelopment has now found its conclusion.

After its establishment, the new glass house later presented as a representative of the so-called architectural glass house-building. Only in 1904 it was clear the use of interior space, after years varies between courtly winter garden, flower room, greenhouse and other changes had been.

Architecture and Implementation
The building consists of five parts: the high middle section, the two side wings and two towers (and the successor Ohmann built by Ludwig Baumann eastern extension with your Albrechtstor). An originally existing, eingeschoßiger connecting corridor to the Hofburg was demolished in 1918, he disrupted the Archduke Franz Ferdinand's view on the back of the court library. Included in the room today as a result of the so-called Gartenverwaltungshof link is to the National Library.

The facade of the middle section is preceded by one consisting of six three-quarter columns Kollonnade, which is framed by two towers. The columns are crowned by vases, the pylons of groups of figures. For the "top cover" means this part, but also for the subsequent "sides" riveted steel sections were used. These glass-iron parts correspond to the vocabulary of the greenhouse construction.

The portico of the central block, which performed in rusticated corner pavilions, which is the glass walls "pre-faded" low stone architecture, all the courtly glass house.

Typical of the former building in Vienna, the use of many types of stone, for example Calcareous sandstone to the Marzano and for many - some remote - areas of the Habsburg monarchy.

The comparison of the functional glass and iron construction with all the monumental style of late Classicism forms, with applications and secessionist "baroque accessories" to Ionic capitals was probably aware, it was not without glitches, however. The wonder of this structure is, however, that despite its weaknesses, "one of the most beautiful in the Viennese architecture of the century" is one. (Friedrich Achleitner, Austrian Architecture in the 20th century.)

daddo, snunney heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 2252
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Csaba Witz (csabagaba) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 617 W: 172 N: 1499] (7018)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH