Photographer's Note

In this splendid church of Brou, many amazing sculpted stalls precede the tombs of Marguerite d'Autriche and her husband, Philibert le Beau.
In less than 2 years, from 1530 to 1532, THe Master Pierre Berchod achieved the feat of sculpting with an unprecedented luxury of details 74 stalls, mobilizing all the sculptor woodworker around Brou.
Fortunately, the area did not miss any.
The time granted for their realization was so short that the artists had to specialize and work up to 20 hours a day.
These stalls were for members of regular clergy only.
The working drawing were executed by the same artist which did the ones of the tombs.
The result is a profusion of characters assembled in scenes of the New Testament placed north of the chorus and in scenes of Old Testament in the south.
In WS you can find an example of these figures.

clnaef, delkoo, jjcordier, kevinos, UlfE heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 3548
Points: 47
Additional Photos by Jean Louis COLLIGNON (quetzal) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 605 W: 152 N: 687] (3665)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
View More Pictures