Foto's

Photographer's Note

February 10, 2008
Béziers 340032 34500
Herault Languedoc-Roussillon
43.350 3.250 53 m

The Pont-Canal, bridge aqueduct on Orb, of the XIXe century.

One sight
Other sight

Since its opening in 1681, the Canal du Midi, "Channel of the South" join Orb river, in front of Béziers, after the passage of formidable and spectacular work of Fonsérannes considered a time as a wonder of the World, which allow in eight locks built of 1673 to 1680, to cross one dénivellé of 21 m out of 280 m of distance. At some distance, before joining its layout, the channel borrowed the course of Orb, capricious river, with the violent risings and the very low water level in summer. In August and July, the locks of Fonsérannes still see passing between 55 and 60 boats of tourism by day.

To mitigate these difficulties, the Pont-Canal bridge was built since 1854 and was inaugurated in 1858, allowing not leaving the channel of the South. It is one of the largest pont aqueduc bridges of France, with its 12 m of height, 240 m length, 28 m broad and its two tow paths.

The Canal du Midi, "Channel of the South", was built from 1667 to 1681, date of its opening to navigation.
During 15 years, 12000 workmen, including 600 women, built 328 structures including 64 locks, 54 aqueducts, 7 tubular bridges, of the épanchoirs, the tunnels, the lock houses, and planted 45000 plane trees and cypress along the banks. Today the channel is used for river tourism and the irrigation of the grounds.

Béziers, (in occitan, Besièrs), is a French common, located in the department of the Herault of the Languedoc-Roussillon area, populated of 71 600 Biterrois and Biterrois, distributed on 96 km², is 759 hab./km².
By its population, Béziers is the second city of the department of Herault and the fourth of the Languedoc-Roussillon area, after Montpellier, Nimes and Perpignan.
By its surface, Béziers is the first commune of the department of Herault.

It is the fatherland of Pierre-Paul Riquet, born between 1604 and 1609 and deceased in Toulouse on October 1, 1680, architect of the Channel of the South of 240 km, built of 1667 to 1682, to connect Toulouse to Sète.

My images of Beziers

snunney, claudeD, josepmarin, Budapestman, Vasa, Docarmo, Clementi, bobocortis, paura, jaywalker, maloutim heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 12831
Points: 46
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7168 W: 0 N: 22964] (76043)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH