Photographer's Note

Katholicon of the Arkadi monastery (main church) is a basilica with two naves; the northern nave (left) is dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ and the southern nave (right) is dedicated to Saint Constantine and Saint Helen.

In 1645, the church was damaged by looters who destroyed the altar. Long before the capture of the monastery by the Turks in 1866, the church was torched and the icons entirely destroyed. Only a cross, two wooden angels and a passage of the resurrection of Christ were saved from the flames. The apses of the church were also destroyed.

The current iconostasis, in cypress, was erected in 1902. From 1924 to 1927, at the initiative of the archbishop Timotheos Veneris, the work of strengthening and restoration of the apses and the clock were begun. The tiles on the interior of the building were totally replaced in 1933.

pajaran, jhm heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 321 W: 129 N: 1582] (9461)
View More Pictures