Photographer's Note

The Sanctuary of Fátima is a group of Roman Catholic buildings and structures in the (civil parish) of Fátima, in the municipality of Ourém in Portugal.

In addition to the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary, it comprises the Chapel of the Lausperene, a great oak tree (on which the Marian Apparitions occurred), a monument to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Chapel of the Apparitions, where three children Lucia Santos and her cousins, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, were first visited by Mary. In addition, several other structures and monuments were built in the intervening years to commemorate the events associated with the events in 1916, including: the Hostel/Retreat House of Our Lady of Sorrows, the rectory, the Hostel/Retreat of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, a segment of the Berlin Wall (marking the consecration of Russia to the Sacred Heart of Christ), monuments to Fathers Formigão and Fischer, a High Cross (by artist Robert Schad), and individual monuments to Pope Paul VI, Pope Pius XII, Pope John Paul II and D. José Alves Correia da Silva (whom had important roles in the history of site) and the Pastoral Centre of Paul VI.

Across from the main sanctuary is the much larger Basilica of the Santissima Trinidade constructed after 1953, owing to the limited scale of the Sanctuary for large-scale pilgrimages and religious services.


pajaran heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 791
Points: 0
  • None
Additional Photos by Leszek Stefaniuk (jabumbum) Silver Note Writer [C: 4 W: 0 N: 428] (1310)
View More Pictures