Photographer's Note

Four kilometers west from Phaistos are the ruins of the Royal Villa, the Small Minoan Palace at Agia Triada. The site is named after the village of Agia Triada that is located next to it and was inhabited until 1897, when the Turks destroyed it.
Remains of a settlement and graves prove that the site was inhabited as early as the 3rd millennium B.C. In 2600-1700 B.C., the time of the heyday of the first (old) palace at Phaistos, only small building were erected in the area of the Royal Villa. The villa was built in ca. 1600 B.C. and destroyed sometime in the 15th century. An imposing "megaron" of the "Mycenaean" type was erected on its ruins (14th-11th centuries B.C.) and an extensive settlement with a portico ("agora" or market-place) developed to the north of the villa.
Two views on Agora are here and in WS.

jemaflor, pajaran heeft deze opmerking als nuttig gemarkeerd

Photo Information
Viewed: 0
Points: 4
  • None
Additional Photos by Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 321 W: 129 N: 1545] (9365)
View More Pictures